Senior Software Developer
Wanted: a skilled Senior Software Developer to work on our range of solutions for UK Government functions.
Fivium, a fast-growing London-based technology SME, provides digital solutions across UK Government functions, including eCase, our correspondence case management SaaS platform.
Our tireless customer focus coupled with our dedication to delivering excellence means our solutions are setting the benchmark across the industry and driving significant year on year organic growth, which is why high-profile organisations such as Department of Work & Pensions, the Ministry of Defence, HM Treasury and Department for International Trade have all chosen to partner with us.
Core Job Responsibilities include:
- Develop, maintain and enhance software applications principally written in Java
- Write and maintain a comprehensive suite of unit and integration tests, ensuring all code has appropriate test coverage
- Actively participate in frequent code reviews to ensure high quality of all changes
- Participate in the design of new software applications
- Problem solve and debug complex software systems to allow defect analysis and fixing
- Adhere to department procedures and practises, including coding standards, secure coding standards, build processes, source control and development process
- Ensure the high quality (in terms of security, performance and overall maintainability) of software applications produced by the department
- Actively develop team members through coaching and mentoring to ensure team members are achieving the necessary standards and are continuing to improve
- Provide (predominantly) third line support to first and second line support teams as required
- Work with Head of Engineering and Software Engineering Leaders to contribute to the continuing improvement of the engineering function
- Proven commercial experience of 3+ years in Java with Spring
- Experience developing cloud-native applications
- Experience of writing high-performance enterprise scale applications
- Thorough experience of Object-Oriented concepts within software development
- Experience of using Agile Engineering Practices e.g. CD/CI, TDD, Pair Programming
- Experience of writing unit tests and using unit test frameworks
- Appreciation of secure coding issues and techniques to ensure secure applications
- Experience with peer reviewing code, and giving constructive and actionable feedback
- Strong SQL and Scripting Skills
- Experience of working with continuous integration tools (e.g. Jenkins)
- Familiar with codebase management and release processes using Git, and be able to demonstrate experience from previous roles
- Experience of working in an Agile environment focused on short delivery timescales
- Developing high-performance large-scale applications
- Familiar with front-end frameworks and tooling
- Leadership skills, including ability to motivate and coach others
- Exposure to Microservice Architectures
- Application Containerisation
Skills and Qualifications
- Degree in CS, IT or related scientific discipline
- Problem solving skills and the ability to truly own a problem
- Strong communication skills for both technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Proficient in automated checking at the right level of the stack (Unit / Component / Integration / API / Visual / Functional / End-to-End)
- A high level of accuracy and attention to detail is required
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Flexible approach and an ability to operate effectively with uncertainty and change
- Driven, self-motivated, enthusiastic and with a "can do" attitude
- Extremely well organised with an ability to handle and digest large amounts of information from a variety of sources
- Ability to work well under pressure and meet tight deadlines
We offer a competitive salary depending on skills and experience. We also have an excellent benefits package, including:
- Simplyhealth - health cover that pays for eye care, contact lenses, dental, etc.
- Annual profit share*
- Season ticket loan*
- Ride2Work scheme with Evans Cycles*
- Monthly all-staff social events (go-karting, urban golf, bowling, Taste of London)
- Free fruit, tea, coffee, juice and soft drinks
- Budget for training, going to conferences, etc.
- 25 days’ leave per year, increasing by one day per year up to 30 days
- Enhanced maternity and shared parental leave
- Income protection cover
- Critical illness cover
- Life assurance
- Private health insurance (Bupa)*
- Enhanced pension scheme (5% employer contribution)
* available after completing your probation period.
How to apply
Please email your CV (2-3 pages A4) to email@example.com with "Senior Software Developer" in the subject line.
If you use LinkedIn, GitHub, etc. and you want to share your profiles with us, we would love to see them.
All applicants will need to demonstrate permanent eligibility to work in the UK during the application process. Unfortunately, we're not able to sponsor applicants without the permanent right to work in the UK.